UPSC Exam Pattern
Aspirants who are preparing for the competitive exams like IAS/NDA/CDS/IES/IFS conducted by The Union Public Service Commission can get the latest UPSC Exam Pattern for pre and mains exam from here. The commission conducts competitive exam in two phases that are Phase I & II, phase I comprises of the written test and Phase II consist of personality test and interview. Aspirants, who want to score well in the exam, must start their preparation according to IAS Officer Exam Pattern and Exam Pattern of UPSC. UPSC Exam Pattern 2018 will aware about the weightage of the exam that is number of questions, duration of the exam etc.
The Union Public Service Commission conducts competitive exam every year to hire deserving and suitable candidates. You are suggested to prepare according to union public service commission exam pattern, if you want to beat the competition and get placed for the suitable position. For the preparation of the exam, you can get UPSC Exam Pattern 2018 pdf form the below section of the page which is well prepared by the team of resultinbox.com
UPSC Exam Pattern
With the help of the UPSC Exam Pattern, it will become easier for candidate to understand the structure of examination, hence take a glance over it:
IAS Exam Pattern 2018:
UPSC IAS Exam Pattern for the preliminary examination:
|Serial Number||Name of Paper||Total Marks Allotted|
|Paper 1||General Ability Test (GAT)||200|
|Paper 2||English Language and Aptitude||200|
Details about UPSC Exam Pattern:
- The preliminary exam comprises of General Ability Test (GAT) and English Language and Aptitude.
- It is of objective type multiple choice in nature.
- You are required to choose only one correct answer form the four options available.
- Each subject is of 200 marks.
- There will be negative marking in this paper that is ¼ of the marks will be deducted from the correctly attempted answers.
- The question paper will be available in both the languages that is Hindi and English.
Must Read Out: What is the UPSC IAS Exam? Brief Overview
IAS Exam Pattern 2018 for the Main Examination:
These are some important points to be kept in mind given in UPSC exam pattern for the main examination and interview:
- The paper pattern consists of Qualifying Papers and Papers to be counted for Merit formation.
- It is compulsory for all the candidates to appear in both the phases.
- Candidate who will fail in the Qualifying Papers will be rejected for the next round.
- The main examination consists of seven papers and each subject carries 250 marks.
- There are two optional subjects; candidates have to choose one subject among them.
Check Out: Best Tips for IAS Preparation for Beginners
- Paper A: candidates have to choose only one Indian language included in the 6th Schedule of the Constitution and that will be of 300 marks.
- Paper B: English – 300 Marks
Papers which are counted for the Merit Calculation
This table will help you to prepare for the compulsory papers, the marks you will obtain in the paper will be added to calculate the merit and prepare the merit list.
|Serial Number of Paper||Title of the Paper||Marks Allotted in the Paper|
|Paper 1||Essay writing||250 Marks|
|Paper 2||General Studies–I (Indian Heritage and Culture, History and Geography of the World and Society)||250 Marks|
|Paper 3||General Studies –II (Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations)||250 Marks|
|Paper 4||General Studies –III (Technology, Economic Development, Bio‐diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management)||250 Marks|
|Paper 5||General Studies –IV (Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude)||250 Marks|
|Paper 6||Optional Subject – Paper 1||250 Marks|
|Paper 7||Optional Subject – Paper 2||250 Marks|
|Sub Total in the written Test||1750 Marks|
|Personal Interview||275 Marks|
|Grand Total ( for merit calculation)||2025 Marks|
Aspirant who will qualify the preliminary examination will have to appear for the personality test which is of 275 marks. The personality test includes psychometric Test, Assessment Test as well as the Personal Interview. The final merit list will be prepared according to the marks obtained in the personality test.
Do You Know about: Most Beneficial Apps & Websites for IAS Preparation
List of the Optional Subjects for Main Examination:
Candidates, you can choose any of the subjects form the language content in 6th Schedule:
- Political Science & International Relations
- Commerce & Accountancy
- Mechanical Engineering
- Public Administration
- Electrical Engineering
- Medical Science
- Animal Husbandry& Veterinary Science
- Civil Engineering
- Philosophy and
|How to Make Effective Notes for IAS Exam||How to Become an IAS Officer|
|IAS Syllabus||IAS Interview Syllabus|
|IAS Exam Preparation Books||IAS Coaching Centres|
NDA Exam Pattern 2018:
- Nature of the exam: The nature of the exam is pen paper based written type offline examination.
- Tests: For NDA exam the candidates have to answer the questions for the two subjects which are Mathematics and General Ability Test.
- Duration: Aspirants have to attempt the questions within 5 hours (2 hours and thirty five minutes).
- Total Marks: The exam paper carries 900 marks in total.
- Marking Scheme: The candidates have to answer only one correct answer for the four options available. Negative marking will be done for the wrong attempted answer that is to every wrong answer there will be deduction of 0.33 marks as a penalty. No marks will be allotted for the answer marked with more than one option.
Know about: Number of Attempts for UPSC Exam
NDA Paper Pattern: Subjects:
The question paper comprises of subjects such as Maths, English, Physics, Chemistry, General Science, History, Freedom Movement, Geography and Current Events. The subject wise marks distribution is as follows:
NDA Paper Pattern: Subject-wise distribution of marks
|6.||History, Freedom Movement, etc.||80|
Get here Complete: UPSC NDA Syllabus
Also Get Here: UPSC NDA 2 Admit Card
CDS Exam Pattern:
As per the examination scheme, the examination will be conducted in two different phases that are written exam and SSB tests. The detailed exam pattern for both the phases is given below:
Phase I- UPSC Exam Pattern for Written test:
For Admission in Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy, and Air Force Academy
|English||2 Hours||100 Marks|
|General Knowledge||2 Hours||100 Marks|
|Elementary Mathematics||2 Hours||100 Marks|
For Admission in Officers’ Training Academy
|English||2 Hours||100 Marks|
|General Knowledge||2 Hours||100 Marks|
Get here complete: UPSC CDS Syllabus
Features of written exam:
- Candidates who are going to appear for Admission in Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy, and Air Force Academy have to prepare for the three subjects which are English, General Knowledge, Elementary and Mathematics.
- Each subject comprises of 100 marks that is the exam is of total 300 marks.
- For Admission in Officers’ Training Academy, aspirants need to prepare for English and General Knowledge.
- Each subject is o0f 100 marks.
- According to the UPSC Exam Pattern there will be negative marking done for the wrong answers that is 0.33 marks will be deducted for the wrong attempted answers.
- For written exam and interview, maximum marks will be same.
- Total time given to complete the exam will be 2 hours.
|CDS Exam Pattern||UPSC CDS 1 Admit Card|
|UPSC CDS Officer Salary||UPSC CDS II Admit Card|
Phase II- SSB test:
The candidates who will successfully qualify the written test will be allowed to appear in the next phase that is SSB test which will be conducted by the Service Selection Board at any of the selection centre. The SSB test will be conducted in two stages which are:
Stage I – It consists of Officer Intelligence Rating (OIR) tests are Picture Perception Description Test (PP&DT). Candidates will be shortlisted on the basis of performance in the OIR Test and PP&DT.
Stage II – It consists of Interview, Group Testing Officer Tasks, Psychology Tests and the Conference. This test shall be conducted for 4 days.
Aspirants who will qualify the stage I will be permitted to appear in the stage II.
Get here: 10 Awesome Tips to Crack SSB Interview
Personality Test Assessment
- The personality test will be conducted by the Interviewing Officer (IO), Group Testing Officer (GTO) and the Psychologist.
- Marks for the test will be allotted according to the performance of the candidate in the entire test.
- The decision of the selection Board and the initial performance of the candidates in all the stages will decide the marks in the conference.
- These tests are conducted to check the abilities of the candidates.
- The candidate will be considered for SSB according to the performance in all.
Must Read Out: How to Prepare Current Affairs for UPSC Exam
Study Tips for UPSC exam 2018:
- Prepare easy notes in your own language and then study.
- Follow the procedure of learn and write, this will help you to remember the topics.
- Make a proper study plan, schedule etc and give proper time to each and every subject.
- Solve the previous year question papers and sample papers according to the time given on it.
- If you like to study in a group then, only study with the friends who are keen about their studies.
- Avoid eating junk and stale food, eat fresh and healthy food.
- Focus on your goal and definitely you will achieve success.
- Revise the topics which you have learned earlier.
- Study place should be peaceful where nobody could disturb you.
- Prepare for the exam according to UPSC exam pattern.
Must Read This: Want to Crack Civil Services Aptitude Test in First Attempt?
For the better preparation of the exam, we have provided UPSC Exam Pattern 2018. Uttar Pradesh Public service Commission also conducts EPFO, APFC, IFS, IES and JWM exams so you can also prepare for the same taking help of UPSC EPFO Exam Pattern, UPSC APFC Exam Pattern, UPSC JWM Exam Pattern, IFS Exam Pattern and IES Exam Pattern. For any related query regarding the exam pattern you can ask us in the below stated comment box, you will soon receive a positive response. To bookmark this page, you can press CTRL + D keys.
Check Below Given Links
|UPSC Exam Calendar||How to Prepare for IFS Exam|
|UPSC IFS Exam Pattern||UPSC IFS Previous Year Question Papers|
|IES Previous Year Papers||IFS Coaching Centers|
|UPSC Syllabus||UPSC IES ISS Previous Papers|